EKOPEL 2K — is a high-viscosity two-component self-levelling polymer coating, which is applied for cast iron, steel and plastic bathtub resurfacing.
EKOPEL 2K extends the service life of a bathtub and eliminates the necessity of total bathtub repair.
Main characteristics. Bathtub Resurfacing Product.
- Odourless. No hazardous diluters used in manufacturing of the material.
- High density and excellent coverage.
- Perfect adhesion to steel and cast iron.
- No streaks, no bubbles.
- UV resistance.
- Harmless to humans and the environment (when solidified).
- Freezes at the temperature below 0, does not lose its properties after defrosting.
- Pouring method is used
Other advantages. Bathtub Resurfacing Material.
- Hardening time - 24 or 48 hours at normal temperature in the bathroom 20-25°C. Hardening time depends on the product version and the bathroom temperature. If the temperature varies from the normal, the hardening time can increase at lower temperature and decrease at higher temperature.
- Shelf-life of the material 45-90 minutes after mixing the two components.
- No diluters needed to make the product ready. Component A and component B need to be thoroughly mixed, without diluters.
- Restoration work takes 3-4 hours, if the technology of bath preparation and material application is followed correctly.
- Ekopel 2k can be tinted with tinting pastes Ekopel Colors.
- Ekopel 2k is produced within the European Union in Slovenia.
Package contents. Bathtub Reglazing Coatings.
The material consists of 2 components: component A (base) and component B (hardener), the mixing of which provides you with a mixture ready for application.
1 (one) Ekopel 2k set can be used for restoration of 1 (one) bath.
* The base is delivered in a plastic container with a protective “lock”, decorated with corporate colours of the Pabrec company. The hardener is in a square bottle of high-strength polyethylene with a protective “lock”.
Packaging – 3.4 kg (component А - 3 kg, component B - 400 g)
Additional information. Bathtub Refinishing Product.
The guaranteed shelf life – 12 months from the date of manufacture (the date of manufacture is shown on the package).
The service life of the applied coating – 20 years, provided that there is regular care of the coating.
Check the instruction on application and watch the video before use.
Bath preparation prior to application
- Before you start, place the thermometer in the bathroom to know the temperature at the end of the bath preparation. Ideal temperature for work is 20-25°C. At this temperature the material will completely dry within 16-48 hours (depending on product version).
- Polish thoroughly the entire inner surface of the bath with a “rough” sandpaper or with a special header on the drill until there is abrasion on the enamel. If there is any additional coating on the bathtub, apart from the factory coating, “take it off” completely.
- After polishing degrease the bath with a diluter and cleanse it with a strong detergent, which would remove grease, lime deposits and rust from the surface. Rinse the bath thoroughly with water and make it dry. For drying, you can use a hot air gun or a hair dryer.
- Stroke the bath surface with your palm, use a flashlight in order to check if there are any shearing distortions or dimples. If there are any of these defects, they are to be puttied with a polyester filler without glass fibres.
- Securely close all taps; if necessary, wrap all cranes with polyethylene bags; make sure there is no condensation on pipes passing over the bath. All possible variants need to be anticipated to exclude the possibility of water splashing into the bath after material application.
- Completely remove the piping, which implies the drain and the water overflow system.
- If you are unable to remove the piping, it is necessary to take certain actions. See below “Application without removing the piping”.
- Prior to material application cover the bath with a masking tape all around on tiles along the wall, not to put the material onto tiles. Cover the floor under the bath with a newspaper or a polyethylene film, and protect the front wall of the bathtub with the film.
Preparing the mixture.
- Shake the bottle with component B before opening.
- Pour component B into the bucket with component A, mix with a 40-50cm long wooden stick of rectangular section. Drill headers, like a mixer, will not be suitable for this, because they do not mix the content until the homogenous mass properly. It is difficult to mix a thick base and a liquid diluter, that is why it should be done not less than for 10-12 minutes, focusing on the walls and the bottom of the bucket.
- Keep in mind that if you do not mix the material well enough, in some areas the material will not get hard, and these areas eventually may turn yellow and exfoliate with time.
- To make the mixing process easier, you can warm the mixture a little up to the room temperature. In this case, place the bucket with the mixture into a container with warm water. However, too warm material can become too liquid. As the result, the layer, applied onto the bath, can be very thin. Moreover, it can cause appearance of some yellow and not solidified areas. Therefore, the material should be heated only to the room temperature (max +25°C).
- After stirring cover the mixture with a cover and leave for 10 minutes. This is necessary to activate the properties of the mixture. At this time, make sure if the bath is ready for application of the mixture; the bathtub has to be thoroughly washed and dried.
- Use colour tinting pastes Ekopel Colors for tinting the material.
- Service life of a ready mixture after mixing is 45-90 minutes (depending on the product version).
Application of the ready mixture
1. If the drain and overflow system was removed, then put a container of not less than 0.5 litres under the drain plug before application. Excess material will drain from the bath surface in this container. If the drain and overflow system was not removed, then it is advised not to pour all the material onto the bath, leaving 400-500 g in the bucket.
2. Mix the material once again for 1 minute and start the application.
3. You can apply the material straight from the bucket with mixture, or use a clean plastic glass of 500 ml. Pour a part of the material from the bucket into the glass and apply in portions.
4. Apply the mixture onto horizontal sides of the bath. Start the application from the far left corner of the bath and continue clockwise. After all horizontal sides of the bath are covered, apply the material over the boarder of the dripped off material.
5. Slowly flowing down from vertical sides, the material will cover the whole surface with the necessary layer. Make sure that the material does not flow out of the bath, adjusting the draining of the material with a spatula.
6. When the material fills the surface of the bath, take the flashlight and check whether all bath areas are filled in with the material. If there are gaps on walls or sides, fill them in with the material from the bottom of the bath with a spatula. Take a small amount of the material from the bottom of the bath and fill in the gaps.
7. For an even distribution of the mixture onto the bottom of the bath use a spatula. Make some zigzag movements with a spatula on the bottom of the bath to avoid sagging. Finally, the material will be completely self-aligned on the surface of the bath by the end of application.
8. Take the dryer and slightly heat the material at the bottom and on the walls of the bath. This will remove air from the surface quicker and prevent the emergence of bubbles.
9. Remove the material that drains off the bath along the sides, with a spatula, as if you were “cutting” the drops.
10. Do not scrape the material from the bucket. There can be some part of the material, which was not mixed with the hardener, on the bottom of the bucket, and which can cause damage to the bath surface.
End of work
- After the end of work remove the masking film from the walls.
- In 16-48 hours, if you had removed the piping (drain and overflow) before, put it back without over-tightening the bolts in the holes not to damage the coating.
- If you did not remove the piping, then read the instruction on “Application without removing the piping”.
- Be sure to explain to the client how to care for the renovated bath.
- The content must be mixed thoroughly, paying extra attention to the bottom and the walls of the bath.
- To avoid effects of low-quality mixing, leave approximately 5 mm of the ready mixture in the bucket, do not pour everything out into the bath.
- Strongly heated material can leave an extra thin layer. The mixture must be heated only to the room temperature by placing the bucket into a container with warm water.
- Do not add “diluters”. It reduces the quality of the material.
- Do not use the container, which contained the hardener before, for pouring the material into the bath.
- Store EKOPEL 2K in a sealed container, in a dry place, at the temperature of +5oC to +35oC, far away from heaters and direct sunlight. If the material got heated or cold during the storage, then let the material stay at the room temperature 22-25°C for a while prior to application.
- Avoid water entry into the bath after application of the material until it is fully hardened.
Application without removing the piping.
- If there is no possibility to remove the piping (drain-overflow system), then we recommend using Ekopel 2k-F with fast hardening time for bath restoration.
- Cover the drain and overflow holes with a masking tape before application of the material, cutting the excess of the masking tape off with a utility knife.
- After application of the whole amount of the material onto the bath, remove its excess from the bottom of the bath, so that the thickness of the layer on the bottom would be about 1.5 mm. Use a spatula, a comb and a container.
- Make a squeegee of the comb with the exposed layer of thickness. Use a masking tape to set the thickness layer.
- Move the “squeegee” along the bottom, pulling the material on one side and remove the excess with the spatula and place it into the container. Repeat this step several times.
- To accelerate the flow of the material from the walls of the bath, it is possible to use the “squeegee” moving it “downwards”.
- Remove the material from the drain hole with a blade of a utility knife. Repeat it several times, while waiting till the material stops running off.
- In two hours after application, the material will stop running off. Clean the draining hole from the material with a blade once again. Remove the masking tape from draining and overflow holes. If there is still some of the material left on the draining and overflow holes, remove them accurately.